Monday, September 22, 2008

We're Going RAW!!

Monday, September 22, 2008
By Ruth Phelps


Well, Brad is off to Alaska. I figured this is a good time to begin my new eating habits. Last night I whipped up a recipe (3 recipes, actually) of Berry and Nut Bars from the RAWvolution recipe book by Matt Amsden. I borrowed Amy's dehydrator. The bars (biscuits) were dry enough this morning for Jenni and Bonnie to take some with them. I hope the dehydrator isn't too hot. It only felt warm. They are not super yummy, but they are super filling! That is a good thing. I think going RAW is a Good Thing! Here is the recipe:





Berry and Nut Breakfast Bars
2 cups raw almonds
1 cup raw walnuts
3/4 cup raw flax seeds
2 cups fresh strawberries, raspberries and/or blueberries (Iused only strawberries)
1 cup raisins

Using a food processor, grind the almonds and walnuts coursely, and then transfer the nuts to a large mixing bowl. Powder the flax seeds in a high-speed blender (it won't work in the food processor) and place in a small bowl. Liquefy the fresh berries in the blender, then add the flax powder and blend again really well. Add the berries and flax to the ground nuts, along with the raisins, and mix really well (you may have to use your hands to get it really mixed.)

Spread the mixture evenly on a Teflex-lined dehydrator tray to a thickness of approx. 1 inch. Dehydrate at 100 degrees for 12 hours. Flip over, take off the teflex and dehydrate for another 12 hours. Cut into approximately 18 pieces. End

So, I shaped my dough into biscuits 1 1/2 inches across and about 3/4 to 1 inch deep. I got about 20-25 per recipe. I was going to turn them over this morning, but they were done! I am keeping them in the fridge, but they are looking a bit moist. I am going to open the bag. They were warm when I put them in the bag. I think that is why they are moist.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm glad you figured out how to post on here, Mom. I'm excited to try this recipe.