Sunday, September 21, 2008

Strenght in Numbers

I think this is a great idea! I think I need all the help and support I can get. I've been trying to change our diet but it has been slow going for us. Luckily, our refrigerator broke down this week and we were forced to throw away everything we had in it. How is that lucky, you may ask. Well, now I have the perfect chance to start over without feeling wasteful. We want to go raw eventually, but for now we are about 50% raw, 40% vegan, and 10% animal. I like to categorize it that way so that I still see that we really are making progress. My goal for now is that by the end of the year we will be 80% raw and 20% other vegan and 0% animal.

We started this a few weeks ago because we (Greg and I) haven't been feeling up to par. We thought we just need to live a little healthier. Well, since, we have learned that there are some pretty serious health issues at the root of it all, so we are glad that we've already gotten a jump on things.

Here is one of our favorite snacks right now:

Fresh Salsa (raw and low-sodium)

4-6 ripe roma tomatoes, finely chopped
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh corn kernels straight from the cob, rinsed
1/4 cup finely shredded carrot
1/2 cup sprouted black beans


Whole Wheat Tortilla Chips (vegan and low-sodium):

3 whole wheat tortilla chips, cut into 8 wedges each
Lightly grease baking sheet with cooking spray and arrange wedges on sheet
Lightly spray tops of wedges with cooking spray
Dust with cumin
Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes, cool

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Thanks for the recipes! I am glad we are in this together. Love You!

Amy said...

I'm glad to hear from you, Les. Thanks for the recipes. I'm glad to see people adding to this blog!