Friday, September 19, 2008

Starting fresh

Hi Everyone,

You're probably thinking, "Why is she sending me another blog invite?," right? Well, apparently I've become obsessed :) This time however, I'm hoping that you all can contribute to this one. I was talking to my Mom (Ruth) today and we were discussing our views on doctors and how they just don't seem to care about, let alone listen to their patients; and how they seem to be guessing at a lot when we've gone to see them.

i.e. I took Shylah in to instacare once for some severe abdominal pain that she'd had for a couple of days (I mean she would writhe on the floor in agony) and the doctor poked at her stomach a bit and told me she was constipated. He recommended I buy some mineral oil to feed her orally and to go home and give her an enima. I did as he suggested (which was not pleasant for Shylah or myself) and she seemed to just get worse. We took her to another doctor a couple days later and from a simple urine test he found that she had a urinary tract infection!! I couldn't believe that the first guy hadn't even done a urine test. She could have been spared two days of horrible pain and I could have had eighty more dollars in my pocket.

This is not the worst thing that I have dealt with from doctors and it is by far not the worst thing my mom and sisters have dealt with. I'm not saying that there are not good doctors, there are; I've had a couple of really good ones. However, they seem to be few and far between from what I've dealt with and from what my family and friends have dealt with. I could go on and on about my frustration with the medical industry, but that really isn't what this blog is about.

I know that a lot of us have started to lean toward eating a more natural, plant-based diet and I thought that if we had a place to go and share what we learn with one another that it would be great. I, myself, have started eating vegetarian (I try to do vegan, buy sometimes I'm not very good) and the difference I feel in my body is amazing. I've heard that a lot of you are going raw and I think that is wonderful. I hope to be able to do that soon, but I won't for a while.

I truly believe that God has given us the means with which to be healthy and pain free. I believe that good food choices have the ability to fill us with health and vitality or even to heal us. I also believe that bad food choices fill our bodies with toxins and illness, and can ultimately take away the quality of our lives. After Kimmy died I read 'Original Fast Foods' and it seems like every page I turned just filled me with more and more insight. After the first few pages I knew that what I was reading was the truth and that this was how we were meant to eat in order to get optimal performance out of our bodies. And let's face it, when we are at optimal performance, our lives are better. On the other hand, when our bodies feel weak, sick, or sluggish the negative effects are felt in every aspect of our lives.

I hope that we all can have fun with this blog and can get some good ideas from eachother. If you received an invitation from me then that means you can post and add to this blog. If there is anyone you want to have contribute to this then please let me know. Or add them yourself if that is possible, I'm still not sure how everything works here. If you haven't read 'Original Fast Foods' I highly recommend it. I love you all, and hope you are well.

-Amy

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Okay, you have come a long way! You have nice pictures, etc. You highlighted Original Fast Foods. I can't even figure out how to post a paragraph. You will have to teach me. Thanks for starting this. MOM