Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Finally some plants!!

I'm so excited right now because last night Seth brought home some fruit bushes and an apple tree. As some of you know, one of my goals in the whole 'getting healthy' thing is to be able to grow most of my own food. I think that the less I have to rely on someone else for healthy food, the better off I'll be. So, now I'm on my way!! We planted 3 blueberry bushes, 3 grape vines, 3 golden raspberry bushes, and an apple tree last night. I hope to get my green house going soon and then I can grow my herbs and veggies all year round!

By the way, do any of you compost? I was thinking of trying that, but I'm not exactly certain what to do. Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks :)

2 comments:

Kristina said...

That's great Amy. I would love to have some fruit trees. My goal is to have quite a bit of land with an orchard and a big garden.

As for composting I am not sure how to do it. There are bins that you can get that are designed for composting. Just google "compost bin" to get an idea of what's out there. You could probably make your own. I know some people just get a bin or pail and throw all their organic waste in it.

Good luck.

Ruth said...

Amy, Do you have The Sprouting Book by Ann Wigmore? It has a chapter on composting that I think is very good. It explains well what you need to do. Let me know.