Saturday, November 22, 2008

Delicious Chocolate Milkshake

Hi everyone.  So I've been experimenting with desserts this week.  I had 3 failures that a blended together and made the best every chocolate milkshake.  Here's about what I did, give or take a little:

I ground up some pecans and added about 10 pitted dates, then ground them together.  I rolled that out and tried dehydrating it a bit, but it was to oily, so I squished it together, put it in a plastic bag and threw it in the fridge.  Failure one. 

The next day I put some dried apricots to soak in cold water so that I could make some jam.  I forgot about them and they soaked about 3 hours.  I tossed them in the blender anyway with a few cashews and a little water to make apricot cream.  It was creamy, but had a funky taste, so I put it in a tupperware container and tossed that in the fridge too.  Failure two.

Then I tried to make ice cream with almond milk.  1 cup soaked almonds, 10 pitted dates, 3 Tbs Maple syrup, 1 tsp vanilla and 5 cups cold water.  I blended it together and poured it into the ice cream machine.  It froze up nicely, but I had forgotten to strain out the pulp, so it tasted grainy and it wasn't sweet enough. We didn't finish it, so I froze the last two or so cups.  Moderate Failure three.  

A few days later I was cleaning out my fridge and found failures one and two and decided to blend a little of both of them together with 2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder, a little more maple syrup, a few more pitted dates, 1/2 tsp almond extract and 3/4 cup water.   Tada!  I very rich chocolate pudding.  Then I remembered the ice cream in the freezer and tossed that in to the blender as well.  I blended just a few seconds, until it was all mixed together, and....Wow!!! The best ever, one of kind, chocolate milkshake.  Unfortunately, I don't think that I'll be able to recreate it; but it sure was fun while it lasted. 

The point: it's not a failure till it rots and smells vile, so keep it around a few days; and, try, try, try again.   

Good luck and keep blending!!

Candice

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Wow, you really are cooking up a storm! Keep it up. The milkshake sounds really good.